Providing advanced hearing protection in high noise environments for commercial & military aircrew, and ground crew personnel, the Gentex® Wire-Free Communication Earplugs (WCEP) Kit operates on the principle of Near Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI). The WCEP Kit improves passive noise attenuation, eliminates snag and hot spots associated with earplug wires, and simplifies helmet donning and doffing. The WCEP Kit also provides an ease of use with CBRN gear by eliminating the need to have wires pass through equipment. The WCEP Kit fits in helmets and headset earcups to provide redundant operations to existing equipment speakers.
- Innovative Design
- Battery-free Operation
- Redundant Speaker
- Seamless Integration
- Superior Performance
- With no wires connected to the earplugs, the WCEP Kit offers maximized comfort through reduced irritation and elimination of hot spots, allowing for enhanced performance, safety and comfort.
- Does not need batteries or recharging, and no syncing with a transmitter is required. The magnetic, battery-free, wire-free earplug system uses an audio signal to stimulate a coil which initiates signal transmission. Power inherent in the radio audio signal is all the power the system needs, ensuring the earplugs are ready for use at all times.
- Audio is available via the existing equipment speakers, even if a user does not have Near Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI) earplugs when they need to use the headset or helmet in which the WCEP Kit are installed.
- Transmitter fits around the existing transducer found in a Gentex helmet system or headset, so no drilling/cutting or refitting of a helmet or headset is required for installation.
- Offers reduced irritation and fatigue on the user, while improved sound protection and communications clarity increase mission effectiveness. The earplugs provide double layer hearing protection noise attenuation at a price that is a lower cost alternative to typical Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headsets.
Characteristics, Coverage & Weight
- Earplug weight = 6 grams/pair
- Transmitter Coil weight = 50 grams/pair (does not include earphone)
- Transmitter Coil size = 2.4” diameter x 0.5” thick
- System-Level Frequency Response
- Minimum Rated Power: 100 mW/coil or 200 mW/headset to provide 105 dB SPL at the ear @ 1kHz
- When the transmitter coil is driven with a 0-dBV input from a 20-ohm output impedance source, with the coil and earplug coaxial and 1/4” apart, the sound level produced at the ear shall fall within the limits outlined in the chart below.